Monday, August 9, 2010

His Side of the Bed


Here I sit in a motel room in Morro Bay, CA. I was out and about earlier today – I went down to the waterfront. I had a lovely latte and some frittata beside the marina and gazed at Morro Rock. It was another cold and windy day so instead of walking the beaches, I went shopping. OMG – I don’t shop, but cruising the galleries is soothing and inspiring. I am always intrigued and marveled by the creativity of others. But I also bought a pair of shoes and some jewelry. WTF – jewelry?! I rarely wear the stuff – I am always worried that I will lose it. So here I am spending too much money on jewelry that I will probably not wear. Oh well. Happy Birthday to me – I do have a birthday this year!

I feel better about traveling alone today. I am not so self conscious and uneasy. It could be that I had a good sleep last night. What a difference that makes. Since Dave’s death, I have been amazed at the loss of confidence I have experienced. I am typically a very independent woman. I go places alone, I make decisions by and for myself as well as others. I can hammer and nail and saw. I know how to call the plumber. But since Dave’s death, I have felt very vulnerable. My confidence has slipped and my strength has gone from none existent to evasive. I have avoided public places and encounters with others like the plague. Then, around month 4 was able to get out and do things, but often would just put my head down and "get at it". Today was a good day. I chatted up the waitress, the cooks, the clerks and some people on the street. The town of Morro Bay has a nice laid-back feel and it was easy to do. But it didn’t last long. I was back at the motel by mid-afternoon. I needed rest.

So, here I sit, on Dave’s side of the bed. If I sat on my side, I would miss him too much, I would look at the empty space and feel the loss of him. So I am sitting on his side. There is no room for him now. And now I feel guilty for putting that in black and white. I guess I just need a rest from everything – including my grief. That is why I have run away from home.

2 comments:

  1. Traveling seemed to help me get used to being alone again. That said, at times it made me fatigued. I remember a particular day - when I had driven from Carson City, NV, down to Ridgecrest, CA - a teriible drive after miscalculating the time and making a side trip to Bodie ghost town. I ended up staying in Ridgecrest a second night as I was feeling so worn out. I did a trip out to Trona Pinnacles, and stopped to get some food, but then came back to the motel and slept for hours the second night. I really needed to recharge before going onward. I think this is a part of the grief process - needing time to rest and be alone from time to time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find that grief really takes it out on my energy. The thought of workign full time next year scares me.
    Good on you for getting outthere and travelling.

    ReplyDelete