Sunday, August 8, 2010

Rat-a-Tatt-Tatt


I did it. I got a tattoo. I have thought about it for 6 years now. August 4th was the 6th anniversary of my first husband’s death. I still miss him. I still think of him often. I still continually remember our times together and quote him often. I still wish our children had a father. I tell them stories of their father as often as I can.
Since his death, I have thought about getting a tattoo in his honour. Although he didn’t like tattoos and probably wouldn’t approve, I got a tattoo for me. It took me quite a while to decide on a design – and I told myself that I had to want that same design for one year before I would get it. At first I wanted a Celtic knot – but it didn’t really suite T. It suited me, though. Then I wanted a dragon – he was born in the year of the dragon. But I couldn’t find a design I liked. Then I wanted a sun – but no face. T loved the sun – he was Finnish and when the sun came out he said “sun” but in Finn, “ aurinko” (and don’t forget to roll the r !) I put a simple sun on his headstone as well as trees and mountains. He was a true outdoors man, a western-Canadian style outdoor man.
So – the tattoo finally came together last August. Dave, his best friend and I discussed it on the dock while on holidays last summer. I still wanted it this summer.
So – the sun is for T and the celtic knot represents the 4 of us: my son, my daughter, myself, and T who is the love we all have for each other. I am happy with it.

4 comments:

  1. It's beautiful. As you know I have become carried away with tattoos, and Michael didn't really approve of them either. I still just tell him to deal with it.

    Enjoy it Dorthea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey,that's a beauty, Dorthea! I think T would have loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You rock! Love the meaning behind it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you - my son and daughter love it too.

    ReplyDelete