Saturday, July 10, 2010

Music to My Ears

I am just starting to listen to music again. Here in Alberta, we have an amazing radio station, CKUA Radio Network. (online at www.ckua.org) Typically, I would have the radio on all day, listening to the great music that they play. Since Dave passed, I have been unable to listen to music. It just cuts like a knife.

Music was a big part of our life together. Dave was a big supporter of live music. He volunteered for the local Folk Festival, Jazz Festival and Blues and Roots Festival for years and years. He also volunteered for the radio station I mentioned above as their Events coordinator, organizing dance parties with live music.

We went out to live music venues frequently. We went to concerts of our favourite musicians, we volunteered for festivals and CKUA radio. So, after Dave died, I found it too painful to listen to music, but I have really missed it. Have you noticed that most songs are about love and loss? Of course you have. It can just be too painful. Then there are the songs that have meaning to our relationship. They often come from a CD that we listened to together. Just the introduction of a song can grip me with pain and emptiness.

But just recently I am noticing that I can listen to the radio or a CD for a little while. I find myself really listening to the lyrics, trying to capture the message the writer was conveying. Instrumental is great. Jazz the best.

Just after Dave died, I pledged a donation of one hour of programming at our favourite radio station. On Wednesday, the announcer played one hour of music in honour of Dave. I listened for the whole hour and heard the music that was ‘our’ music as well as some picks by the announcer. It was bittersweet. I cried several times, but it was great to honour Dave in that way. It was right for us.

Last evening I watched the DVD of Neil Young’s called Heart of Gold. I really like the lyrics of this song. I send it out to Dave.

"Falling Off The Face Of The Earth"

I just want to thank you
For all of the things you've done
I'm thinking about you
I just want to send my love

I send my best to you
That's my message of love
For all the things you did
I can never thank you enough

Feel like I'm falling
Falling off the face of the earth
Feel like I'm falling
Falling off the face of the earth

I just want to tell you
You sure mean a lot to me
It may sound simple
But you are the world to me

It's such a precious thing
That time we shared together
I must apologize
For the troubled times

Feel like I'm falling
Falling off the face of the earth
Feel like I'm falling
Falling off the face of the earth

No comments:

Post a Comment